Despite the fact that more mobile users worldwide are running an Android operating system, iOS users continue to receive the first class treatment when it comes to mobile gaming. The Apple brand has always strived to provide fun, fresh, finger-on-the-pulse products and therefore loyal customers are well looked after in regards to keeping up with evolving mobile technology.
When it comes to mobile gambling, iOS users have a range of options for gaming on the go, whether you’re using an iPhone, iPad, iPod or Apple Watch. This article will take you through the different casino apps available for Apple devices, the best places to play and which iOS devices are compatible with real money online casinos.
How to play real money casino games on your Apple device
Apple users have three choices when it comes to mobile apps; native apps, Web apps and browser based play.
1. Native apps – native apps are the ones you download from the Apple App Store, like Instagram or SnapChat. These apps are either free or available for a small price and are downloaded direct to your iOS device and sent to your iCloud so you have access to the app over all your Apple mobile devices. Native apps need a small amount of storage space to be available on your devices hard drive and require certain iOS software to be up to date in order to function. While there are a tonne of native casino game apps available, these are generally just for free, recreational play. The only real money native casino apps for iPhone are Royal Vegas Casino and 32Red which we’ll explain in further detail below.
2. Web apps/browser apps – a Web app (alternatively called a browser app) can essentially be created from any iOS optimised casino. No download is required, what happens is the data from the casino is saved as a hard link in your phone or tablet and an icon is sent to your home screen for instant access, just as it would if you were downloading a native app. To create a browser app on your iPhone, iPad or iPod, use your device and head to one of our recommended iOS friendly casinos. Once the site has loaded, bring up your in-browser settings and select ‘add to home screen.’ Some mobile casinos like Leo Vegas make it even easier by presenting this option for you as soon as you enter the mobile site, so all you have to do is click to accept the offer and an instant Web app will be created for you.
3. Browser based mobile casinos – browser based play requires relevant Flash, HTML5 or Java Script software to be installed to your iOS device. All you need is a secure mobile Internet connection, with games accessed directly over your Internet browser just as though you were surfing the net on a desktop computer. Browser based mobile casinos require no further effort than tapping one of the links to our recommended casinos, which will take you direct to the venue for instant play.
Royal Vegas & 32Red iOS casino apps
Native casino apps are a restricted market, so currently only two of our recommended casinos offer their own native apps; 32Red and Royal Vegas Casino. Both of these popular apps are powered by Microgaming, so the game selection doesn’t differ dramatically between the two and the setup of the casino lobbies are quite similar.
These native apps are available to download for free by tapping on the links and images of these casinos on this page. Once you’ve downloaded the app, you’ll be required to sign into your casino account and choose to play in free mode or for real money bets.
These apps make it super easy to deposit funds to your account and to play a selection of your favourite casino games on the go without any compromise to gaming quality or security. If you’re interested in playing at Royal Vegas Casino or 32 Red, but don’t want to download an app, both sites are available direct via browser based play.
iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch friendly mobile casinos
If you’re looking for the best online casinos that cater to iOS consumers, we’ve compiled a list of some of our favourites. These highly reputable venues are all certified by eCOGRA, licensed by relevant online gambling jurisdictions, use gaming software by industry leaders and protected by a minimum of 128 Bit SSL security encryption:
- G’day Casino
- Slots Million
- Royal Vegas Casino
- Leo Vegas
- Roxy Palace
- 32 Red Casino
- Thrills Casino
The games you’ll find at each venue will differ, but each of these Apple mobile casinos carry a nice range of pokies, blackjack, roulette, video poker and mini casino games. Popular mobile titles for iPhone and iPad play include Thunderstruck, Avalon, Game of Thrones, Mega Moolah, Major Millions, Starburst, Dracula, Tomb Raider and Spiñata Grande. Some iOS casinos, like Leo Vegas, are also starting to roll out mobile live dealer gaming.
Casino compatible iOS devices
Since the first generation iPhone was released in 2007 while Steve Jobs was still at the helm, it’s hard to keep up with how many iOS products have since dominated the mobile market. The iPhone 6S is scheduled for release in September 2015, while tech heads are already speculating the release date and potential features of the iPhone 7.
While instant browser-based play can be accessed on earlier generation iPhones as long as the relevant Flash, Java or HTML software is up to date, the following iOS products are typically compatible with native casinos apps:
- iPhone 4, 5, 6 and 6 Plus (this is for native apps
- iPad 1, 2, 3, 4, Air 1, 2 and iPad mini
- iPod Touch